Decision Making Checklist
When faced with ethical dilemmas, a checklist can be very valuable in ensuring that every element has been given consideration to. It may also remind us of an avenue we may not yet have explored.
- Verify the significant facts
- Refer to organisational guidelines, principles and codes of practice/ethics
- Consider the implications of decisions for the client, other stakeholders and the organisation
- Consult with your professional colleagues and management as appropriate
- Refer to the client-guidance counsellor contract (as relevant)
- Refer to relevant legislation
- Refer to the five ethical principles
- Ensure client is aware of the limits of confidentiality (as relevant)
- Ensure that client gives consent for disclosure of information to third parties
- Document the issue and decisions taken
- Check that your decision can stand up to scrutiny
- Check any legal implications for yourself, your client and the organisation
- How do you feel about your proposed decision? If you are still uncomfortable, then it is important to explore and/or consult further.